Friday 15 November 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 53



“I’ve never seen something like that before” Grigori said. He spun around on his heel and pierced me with his deep brown eyes, “how did you do that?”
I looked from him to Ariel to Zadkiel and waited for one of them to make a move, but all three stood their ground. Ariel looked more frantic than before. Her hair had puffed up around her head, slipping out of the braid and resembling a frayed mop rather than a rope, which gave her an altogether mad scientist appearance.
“I asked you how you did that demon” Grigori growled at me.
“I did it because I could. There’s a lot more that I can do that I bet you’ve never seen before” I replied, my voice cold as ice. I was still holding onto the mass of darkness around Izzy and Travis and it was taking its toll. Anything I said from now on would have to be a perfect bluff because that force field was draining the last remains of my power.
“You said you wanted to talk” Sebastian interrupted mine and Grigori’s standoff, “so talk.” His clipped tone had finally seeped through and I could tell that losing all three of his friends in the space of one minute had really pissed him off and ground him down. We both knew that we could die, but if I knew Bas well enough, he’d rather die angry and fighting than desperate and fighting.
“What are you doing?” Ariel asked after a long stretch of silence that involved all five of us exchanging mixed glances.
“Yes, what is it that you are doing exactly?” Zadkiel chimed in. He had continued to smile despite the fact that the situation had escalated to preposterously tense proportions. Maybe that was his way of easing his stress? Or maybe he was just manic.

“What do you mean what are we doing?” Bas replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.
“That” Grigori pointed at the expanse of cleared land that stretched out to our left.
“What the fuck does it look…”
 “We’re cleansing the earth” Sebastian interrupted me. His eyes locked onto mine for a split second and they flashed with a warning. I ground my teeth in frustration. We were in an impossible situation and all he wanted from me was to keep my mouth shut? He had another thing coming.
“Why?” Ariel asked.
“It’s what we were made to do” Bas said slowly. The confusion that was emanating off the trio was palpable, even Zadkiel’s smile faltered.
“We know what you were made to do, to ravage humanity and feed on their blood” Zadkiel said after a moment’s pause.
“Blood? You think that we’re what? Some kind of vampires?”
“You could be. How do we know?” Grigori chimed in.
“As Earth Warriors we were created to cleanse the earth’s surface of all harmful properties. To bring it back to a state of purity” Sebastian said quickly before I could pick another argument with a ten year old.
Both Zadkiel and Ariel exchanged glances that made a shiver run down my spine. They didn’t believe us. They actually thought we were crazy.
“So let me get this straight. You think you three are angels, sent from heaven?” I said cautiously. You never knew how real crazy people would react.
 Ariels brow creased and Grigori sucked in a large breath of air in preparation for what looked like an outburst. Before he could erupt though Zadkiel placed a hand on the boys head and a shower of sparks rained down over him. One moment he looked like an overripe beetroot and then he was simply calm. He blinked a few times and wiped a hand over his eyes as if rubbing away the last remnants of sleep.
“We serve God” said Zadkiel with an air of iron certainty, “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you are doing because you are not one of God’s creatures. We’ve witnessed your kind before, murdering and vandalising cities. The only reason we agreed to speak to the both of you is because we have not witnessed this before” he swept his hands around him. I shot a look at Bas. How many cities had they been to where Earth Warriors had gone rogue and abused their powers? Were we truly the only ones who understood our destinies?
“You’re lying” I said. I wanted to sound indignant, but my voice quivered. Throughout all of the time that I had spent analysing our situation, thinking of theories to explain what was going on, I always thought that there was someone out there who had come to the same conclusions as I had. To think that I was the only one, that Bas and I were the only ones to realise what our destinies were was something that I couldn’t get my head around.
“We’ve met one other Earth Warrior who was as twisted as you describe, but that was just one! We were given the power to cleanse, to destroy…” I faltered again and I knew that they could see it. We had been given the power to destroy and kill and that was something that I couldn’t deny. The Mother’s plan for the rest of humanity had always been death. It was only recently that we had come to embrace a new reality, one that didn’t involve genocide.
“You are demonic monstrosities. You were given the power to kill and we were given the power of the Lord so that we could stop you, and we will” Zadkiel said vehemently, “we will stop you.”
“If you know as much as you say you do, then you know that you cannot fight us without destroying yourselves” Sebastian said.
“We cancel each other out” I added just in case they didn’t quite grasp the situation.
“We are not afraid to die” Ariel spat at us, “In the name of the Lord we will smite you!” With those last clichéd words she lunged at Sebastian.

No comments:

Post a Comment