Friday 8 November 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 52



I crawled laboriously over to the edge of the pillar and stuck my head over the edge. I felt Bas’s hands on my shoulders making sure that I wouldn’t tip forward. Below us Sloan was standing with his feet apart talking loudly to three people that were shimmering with unearthly light.
One of them was a woman, I could tell from this height because her hair was braided into a thick rope that rested over her shoulder. The person next to her was too small to be anything other than a child or a dwarf. I remembered what Audrey had said about some of the Sun Soldiers being children and I gasped. I hadn’t believed her at the time, but there was proof standing right below me that the Sun picked its army because of their simplicity of mind.
The third person was a man, but that was all I could tell from this point of view. Sloan raised his voice another octave and was waving his hands around as if describing something to the trio. I slid backwards and rested my head on the surface of the pillar.
“I can’t believe it, but I don’t think he’s told them that we’re up here” I breathed out.
“He’s covering for us” Bas said.
“Why?”
“There’s one thing about Sloan that you don’t know and that’s despite his vileness he’s as loyal as a dog. I’ve saved his life numerous times, and I have no doubt that he hates me for it, but he has never forgotten it.”
“I never knew that” I frowned, “I thought you said he had resented you from the moment the darkness entered you and not him.”
“He did, but he still wanted power even if it was association with it and not possession. I think if the chance presented itself and he could take the darkness from me he would, all loyalty forgotten.”
“But he wouldn’t give you up to the Sun Soldiers?”
“We have all seen what the angels can do” Travis spoke up “at least Roth has never forced us to do anything we didn’t want to do, or take us anywhere we didn’t want to go.”
“Or hurt anyone innocent” Izwan added, “We are lucky ones. Not like ones trapped in camps.”
“I think that’s why your group hasn’t fallen apart” I whispered, “you have seen something worse than the darkness, whereas I was the worst thing my group had ever seen.”
“That’s no one’s fault.”
“If I hadn’t of joined them at the shipping yard they would all still be living there together, Marla and Toya, Old Mal even Tod and Jack.”
                “Don’t forget Owen” Bas said. His face was expressionless as he said his name, devoid of any resentment or jealousy.
                “We were heading past the shipping yard, to the industrial areas anyways” said Travis, “we, I mean Roth, would have probably cleared that land anyways. At least this way you know your friends are still out there.”
                “Do I?”
                “Should I interrupt now? It seems like a good time to interrupt them doesn’t it?”
                I whipped my head around so fast that I felt the Earth tilt under me and begin to shift from side to side. The woman with the braid was holding the hand of the child and floating mid-air next to our pillar.
                “I think we got their attention” the kid answered the woman. His voice was small, but hard edged like a shard of glass that cut through our reverie. Sebastian moved to stand between me and the Sun Soldiers while Travis swiftly ducked down to lift me to my feet.
                I held on tightly to his arm as I steadied myself. Despite my weakened state I could still feel my dragon stir in the pit of my stomach. It seemed that no matter our state of mind, whether we were drunk and overloading on power or fatigued and damaged, our darkness awakened in response to the light.
                “Easy now, we just came up here to talk” the woman said blandly. Her voice though did not match her appearance. Her eyes were wild, darting from Bas to me and back. Her hair was a dirty blonde and it swung ever so slightly as the pair hovered above the ground. They were both wearing similar clothing. It looked like army survival gear, the type that resembled the colour of mustard and grass with lots of pockets and hidden straps. It struck me as odd since the child didn’t look any older than 10.
                The boy had wispy brown hair that floated around his head like a halo, but his eyes were a deep chocolate brown that hinted at a maturity that he couldn’t possibly possess.
                “They are both demons” the boy muttered.
                “I can see that” the woman responded impatiently, “that is why we have to speak to them.”
                “I hate demons” the boy spat out at us with such vehemence that I was taken aback. Great, so we were the demons fighting the angels and we all know who wins in those kinds of stories.
                “And we dislike your kind” Sebastian said calmly, “but we are willing to talk.” All five of us stared at him in surprise.
                “Well, good” the woman replied in a haughty voice.
                “On the ground then?” Bas said inclining his head to where Sloan and the other man were standing. The Sun Soldier had Sloan’s hands behind his back and a thin ray of light encircled around his neck. It looked like they hadn’t bought whatever tale he had spun them. Instead they had come up to the top of the most unnatural looking pillar of earth to investigate for themselves.
                Without a response the pair glided down to the ground in a mass of warm light. It reminded me a bit of jet packs, if they were soft and slow and not roaring fire powered machines.
                “What are you doing” I said grabbing a hold of his hand. The connection only revealed the fact that he was scared out of his mind, not for himself, but for all of us. “Talk to me!”
                “Talking is the only thing that will save us right now” he turned to us, “so let me do it, understood.”
                I let go of his hand. Maybe the others were used to him ordering them around, but I sure as hell wasn’t. It didn’t help that my dragon had been revived from its state of exhaustion and was churning my insides into a rage that I soon wouldn’t be able to control.
                “Evs, I love you” he said before leaning forward and planting a kiss on my chapped lips. The show of affection, especially in front of the boys startled me so much that I forgot I was angry. He let go of me too soon though and the feeling didn’t hold.
                As he manipulated the pillar to retract into the ground I steeled myself for what was to come. If Bas couldn’t talk his way out of this I would most likely hurl myself at the three Sun Soldiers and try and go out in a blaze of glory, not that I wanted to act like a suicide bomber, but I just knew that’s what would happen. Sebastian probably sensed it too and he gave me one last reproachful look before we became level with the so called angels.  
                “Before we begin I just want to clarify that we are not demonic” Sebastian said with the same controlled tone he had used before.
                The child began to laugh uncontrollably.
                “That’s enough Grigori” the man snapped and the boy seized laughing so suddenly that I wondered if the whole thing had been an act. “We are angels and you are demons, everybody knows this, why try and deny it. Look at yourselves.”
                I looked down at myself involuntarily before realising that he meant the darkness that had stained our skin. I had become so used to the phenomenon that I forgot how it must look to others. Black skinned people with black eyes and veins darker than even the surface on which they pulsed. Compared to the trio before us who shone in what looked like a heavenly light we looked very much demonic.
                “We are children of the Earth and you of the Sun. Everybody knows that” he said in a slightly more mocking tone that sounded more like Bas, but he quickly righted it before he continued. “Demons and angels have nothing to do with what we are.”
                “They’re insane” whispered the woman to the child with raised eyebrows that almost disappeared into her hairline. Grigori grinned at her and the whole picture took on an eerie vibe. I looked from them to the man holding onto the Sloan and noted that he too wore the same ugly army style gear.
                “Are you a family?” I asked. Bas shot me a look that said ‘shut up, I’m the only one supposed to be speaking’, but I ignored him.
                “Zadkiel is my brother as is Grigori” the woman answered, “I am Ariel” she added as an afterthought.
                “My name is Roth, this is Evelyn, Izwan and Travis. The man you are holding hostage is Sloan and I would like you to release him” Bas said before I could open my mouth to comment on their strange names. I wracked my brain as to why Zadkiel sounded so familiar and it dawned on me. They had chosen angel names for themselves. Zadkiel was a Hebrew angel of mercy and Ariel was from the Book of Enoch, I remembered studying a bit of theological history for an assignment and reading about different types of archangels. Who knew that it would actually be useful knowledge and not just more useless facts that crowded my brain? Grigori though was a name I couldn’t tie in with anything I’d read and I assumed it must be angelic, since that’s the theme they were going for.
                “As you wish” the man smiled. The way his grey eyes glinted I instantly knew something was wrong. Bas took a step towards Sloan expecting him to be released into his care, but I knew better.
                “No!” I yelled, but it was too late, Sloan’s body ignited with a light so fierce that a shield of darkness was rapidly flung over my face. I swiped it away so that I could see what was happening, but Sloan was gone. I turned to Sebastian to see if I could gauge what had happened from his face, but his jaw was clenched so hard that I could see a thick inky vein bulging on his neck from the force.
                “Where did you send him?” he asked deathly quietly.
                “I released him just like you asked” Zadkiel continued to grin. Without waiting for a response from Bas I threw up a shield over Izwan and Travis.
                “Run” I called out to them, “I’ll shield you for as long as I can, just get out of here.”
                Grigori let go of Ariel’s hand and moved towards the dark mass.
                “Please! Bas can’t lose both of you as well, we’ll find you I promise!” I cried out desperately. If Grigori came in contact with my shield his light power would cancel mine out and then we would be pitched into a fight that we would lose. Three against two was hardly good odds.
I exhaled in relief as the broiling darkness began to swiftly move backwards as the boys began to move. I heard Travis’s voice call out to us, he said one word “Portugal” and I understood.
 We would see them again when we saw Manoel and Owen.
 If we survived.  

No comments:

Post a Comment