Monday 12 November 2012

Up and Running...or Walking?

So its the 2nd day of blogging and I think I've figured out the basics! I'm hopeless at modifying web pages, which is partly why I was procrastinating about getting this page up and running. Please forgive me if its still very stock standard! 
     My creativity lies in other places other than computer code, mostly it stems from the keyboard. From fantasies etched out in letters. An essential aspect of my creativity though is visual. Art for me is an essential part of life, without art everything would be so dull, so gray. 
     Sometimes when we're all too overrun and exhausted we neglect that small voice that whispers "pick up a paintbrush." Even if we do we end up staring at the page like "what the hell am I supposed to do with this?"
     I try to avoid this by surrounding myself with imagery. When people come into my home they are greeted with an assortment of paintings. Very tasteful, nothing too overwhelming. Its my bat cave that holds the bulk of images. Stepping into my room they let out a little gasp. Its just a tad over the top, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 
     Canvases hang from every available surface, some sweeping so low they almost touch the ground. My desk is smattered in magazine cut outs and small sketches while my bookshelves sparkle with arranged jewellery. Its a carefully arranged clutter that has gone through many phases of evolution. I believe it all stemmed from my teenage years. The times when I covered my ceiling in Vogue scraps and spent a fortune on Blu-tack.  
     Now splattered blue paintings of rabbits, a wolf and Kindling prints dominate my walls.     

I wanted to share a little bit of the inspiration from my personal home space with this bit of cyberspace so I  put up one of my sketches as the background. 
I would like to thank James Jean of www.jamesjean.com for the inspiration behind the piece. He is an aesthetic genius. 

My sketch is an amalgamation of two covers from the Fables series, which is hands down my favorite graphic novel series of all time. The girl's face I took directly from some preliminary sketches of 1001 Nights of Snowfall. The tiger was a bit trickier and came from the sketch of The Good Prince. I wasn't sure about how to incorporate the two, but they somehow morphed together and became the tiger girl.

What she seems to be missing though is a name!

I'd love to hear any suggestions? 

Hopefully she inspires at least one of you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment