Friday 25 October 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 50



It was not lost on me that I sounded like an extremist, someone who believed in an ideology to the extent that they wanted everyone else to believe it too. Not only believe it, but live it. Be trapped within it. I groaned inwardly.
                How did political leaders make these sorts of decisions? I had read about militant tyrants and fervent religious masses doing things that were at complete odds with each other, but were thought to be utterly correct.
                I couldn’t stop thinking about what the world would turn into if what we did turned out to be wrong. People were suffering all over the globe and they had been suffering for as long as anyone could remember. A select few nations had overcome obstacles as simple as clean drinking water, medical aid and education, which led to a new and improved way of life. And here I was saying that I was going to take us back to the pre-historic age where hunters and gatherers foraged for berries and chiselled arrow heads out of flint.
                 A new Earth meant no hospitals, no agriculture, no infrastructure and nothing of anything really. Was that something that sounded right? It sure as hell didn’t sound logical.


                “Bas” I started to say, but the words I wanted to express wouldn’t come out. I didn’t want to sound like I doubted our mission, especially when he could misconstrue it as me backing out because of Owen.
                “It’s alright Evs” he held out his hand and I felt our connection establish. I series of scenes danced around in my head—scenes of barren nothingness, scenes of people living in hovels, scenes of hundreds of corpses and a scene of me and Bas sitting on a throne.
We were having the same doubts and running outrageous possibilities of the future. Neither of us had a solid grip on the theory of running a new world order. We weren’t revolutionaries we were foot soldiers with unimaginable power.
“We need a leader” I said out loud.
“What?” Sloan grumbled. His hand was still wrapped up in a bandage, where his finger had once been.
“I was just thinking out loud.”
“Keep going” Travis said. Bas looked at me with a questioning expression. Having a meta-physical connection with someone was amazing on so many levels, except for conveying coherent ideas. Nothing could beat the expression of words.
“Um well, how can I say this, it’s not in our nature to be completely autonomous” I looked around me and saw that all the boys were listening intently so I continued with my random train of thought, “I mean there are some people who would be perfectly happy living the life of a hermit, but once people gather together things happen that are out of their own personal control.
I can’t tell you for example to not wear the colour purple because I don’t like it. You would say that’s ridiculous, but if I was your leader and I said to you that wearing the colour purple was illegal and had repercussions, you would think twice before putting on something purple.
There would probably be a minority that would rebel against such a restriction, but it would only be a minority. That’s because people aren’t all happy to think for themselves. Most people would hate to be hermits. They would rather live under the rule of someone else who banned things like colours, than be alone and ruled only by their own actions. 
The majority of people won’t question the reason behind the ban on purple they’ll just obey it because it’s easier than dissenting.
What we need is someone who can make these sorts of rules and make the people believe that what they are saying is the law and must be followed.”
“You want someone to be able to ban a colour without having people question them?” Travis said. His small eyes had narrowed down into slits and I could tell that he was desperately trying to make sense of what I had said.
“We need a leader” I repeated, “clearly someone with better communication skills than me.”
“No one can ban a colour that’s just stupid” Sloan growled, “if you told me not to wear bloody purple I’d say ‘fuck you, you purple cunt’ and chuck on something fucking purple.” Every time he said the word ‘purple’ his face changed colour to more closely resemble what he was saying.
“I didn’t just pull that example out of thin air you idiot. In Ancient Rome only the Emperor was allowed to wear purple and you know what? People obeyed him.”
“So you say we must have Emperor?” Izwan looked doubly as confused as Travis.
“Yes, I mean no. I mean we can’t just wipe the slate clean and let people run wild.”
“Isn’t that the point? To return to the wild?” Travis looked at Sebastian for confirmation.
“It is, but what if a bunch of engineers got together and starting recreating the very things we destroyed” he answered.
“Oh you mean we need someone to say ‘you can’t build stuff’ and if they do build stuff then you’d, like, come and kill them and break whatever they built?”
“That’s one way of putting it.”
“So wait” Sloan pointed his finger at me, “if I want to build myself a house, one of you bastards will come and destroy it?”
“We’d need to figure out the finer details. If you didn’t cut down any trees, but only used dead wood then it would be okay for you to have a wooden house. It’s tricky with Mother Nature, everything is linked, part of an ecosystem. If you have man-kind ignoring the natural order and tramping around felling trees then yeah it would be a problem and we would have to go out and make an example out of whoever’s been cutting down trees.”
“How would you know though? The wood would be dead by the time I build the house.” Sloan looked smug. His thin lips had stretched over his teeth and the thing that passed for a smile illuminated his face.
“You can’t trick this” Bas gathered a solid cloud of darkness in his hand and held it up before Sloan. The smile fell of his face and I could swear I heard it hit the ground. Thin tendrils of black smoke detached themselves from the ball and reached for Sloan's head. He jerked backwards so suddenly that he lost his balance and fell onto his ass.
“The difference between this revolution and every other revolution that has ever taken place on Earth is that the leaders and enforcers of the new world order won’t be human.
 You could be the most charismatic and genius military leader to ever live. You could amass an army of thousands and try and seize control of the new world, but I would obliterate you with a wave of my hand” he clenched his fist and the darkness re-absorbed into his skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment