Friday 14 June 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 31



“Wait, I have one more thing I wanted to ask you” he looked at me intently, “when you think of killing thousands of people do you feel as if it’s the right thing to do?”
                “When I’m in tune with the Mother I think my own beliefs get hijacked by her. I feel like I should do anything, anything at all for her benefit and that includes killing.”
                “But when you are just you, just Evelyn…”
                “I don’t know” I shook my head from side to side, “when I think about my friends, your friends, people I actually know I don’t want to kill them, but what happened with Marla that was just wrong, but here I am the next day and I can already feel the memory of her fading.”
                “It’s the same with me. I can’t help but want to protect my friends and if I had family I think it would be a completely different story.”
                “What do you mean?”
                “Are you close with your parents? Brothers? Sisters?”
                “No.”
                “Maybe that’s why we were chosen by the Mother, because we had no real familial connections of our own. No real long lasting friendships.”
               

                “I never thought of it like that” I murmured. It was true though, if I had amazing connections with other people I would be more hesitant in destroying anything even associated with them—their hometown for example, let alone killing them. If my birth mother loved me more would I be in an angel camp right now being raped by dirty men like Izwan’s sister? I shuddered at the thought. Being alone had turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me because it led me to become an Earth warrior.
                “What are you thinking about?”
                “Nothing, come on we have to clear a patch of land if we want to have a proper connection with the Mother.”
                I reached towards my darkness and caressed it gently out of its slumber. At least I thought I was being gentle, but the black dragon reared its head and tried to push itself out of my body.
                “Whoa” I stumbled, clutching at my stomach.
                “What’s wrong?” Sebastian took a step towards me.
                “Wait” I gasped, holding out my hand to stop him. If he touched me right now I knew that the darkness would react to his and send both of us into another power tail-spin, “I’m still getting used to all this new energy.”
                “Take your time then” he stepped back, “I’ll clear the area.” His eyes clouded over before he even finished his sentence and his dark miasma seemed to crawl out of his pores. With a slight circular motion of his hands he had a wide section of the footpath and road ahead of us cloaked in the darkness. Slowly bits of concrete and bitumen began to pop inaudibly. They dislodged themselves from the Earth and popped into oblivion right before my eyes and my heart was glad. I knew that I would be sure to burst with happiness when I had levelled this whole city. For that though we needed to find the others.
                While Sebastian was finishing off the area I slowly crept up to my dragon and coaxed him out of the pit of my stomach. It helped to visualise the power as an animal because it allowed me to act like a ring master. After a few more hits and misses that left me winded and the dragon slammed back into its cage I was finally able to draw out enough power without it knocking my self-control out of the park.
                “Ready?” he asked, with one arched eyebrow. I could tell that he had enjoyed watching me struggle. No matter how much our Mother wanted all of her warriors to get along now, she had initially programmed us with a competitive streak that reared its ugly head every once in a while.
                I kicked off my dirty Nikes and pulled off my even dirtier socks so that I could get a better connection with the Earth. Sebastian did the same and we stepped onto the cleared patch of land. I closed my eyes and tried to call up the Mother’s web. I didn’t have to try very hard it was right before me, just under the surface.
                “Do you see it?” I whispered to Sebastian.
                “It’s gigantic” he answered awestruck. We were looking at the whole world, laid out to us in the guise of an intricate web of pulsating light. It would have been less of a shock if it weren’t constantly moving. It felt like the beginning of a Star Wars movie with the words constantly rushing away from you into the abyss.
                “Can you pull back?” Sebastian asked nervously, “I feel like I’m going to barf if I keep looking at it like this.”
                “I’ll try.” I recalled an image I had seen once of the Earth from space. It had hung suspended in nothingness, this perfectly round blue and white ball. I took this image and melded it with the ever-changing web that lay before me. The two elements came together seamlessly to form a floating orb made up of spidery white lines.
                “Picture a globe Sebastian, mould it together with the web and look at it as if you were in space, it will still move, but it will spin slowly.”
                A few moments passed before I heard his reply of “got it.”
                “What do you see?”
                “I see loads of black dots” he laughed, “I just have no bloody idea where they are, or where we are for that matter.”
                “This is stupid, pull out.” I released my connection and took a deep breathe. Suddenly I could feel the warmth of the sun and the cool breeze.
                “You’re a bit impatient aren’t you love” he growled.
                “Let’s connect together, that way we can save time and locate the others quicker. Agreed?”
                “Agreed…captain” he saluted me.
                “Just give me your hand” I said impatiently.
                “Oh I can do better than that” he grinned before darting behind me and putting his arms around my waist. His whole body pressed up against mine and I could feel his breath on my neck.
                “Come on then, let’s start” he breathed out. My power stirred deep within me and I barely held it in check. My breathing came out rapidly and all I could focus on was that I could feel his crotch pushed up against my ass.
                “I can’t concentrate like this” I managed to choke out. He let me go instantly and stepped up beside me. Instead of feeling relief I felt rejected.
                “Fine” he said sharply before grabbing my hand and forcing me into the connection with the web.
                We dove into the image together and piece by piece sorted out the puzzle. The area we were currently in shone brightly with spidery lines because it was urbanised. We stood out like two dark splodges, side by side. Sydney to the North shone just as brightly as the other major cities. Where there was nothing, there was nature.
                I zoned in on my former residence and a feeling of pride gripped me. In the middle of a sea of webbing there was a clear spot. Clear and new and created by me.
                We scanned the area surrounding us and stumbled upon another dark splodge. It was surprisingly close by.
                “Where are they?” Sebastian asked.
                “Looks somewhere close to Epping” I guessed. Before we could make any more assumptions the other warrior’s darkness flared up. It sent a shockwave throughout the web and we could feel his or her power as if it were brushing up against us.
                Images of old houses and barren fields swam up in our consciousness. Our minds responded with snapshots of the partially cleared street we were on, the ruined city and unintentionally the image of Marla’s dismembered body. The foreign power surged at that last picture and we received a clear message; “Stay. Coming. Nightfall.”
                As we were about to disconnect another shock of darkness slammed into us. This was much more frantic and less calculated than the first. Images of dead bodies, burning woods and intense flashes of white light assaulted us. I sent out probing thoughts, worry gripped me. Sebastian’s darkness tried to blanket the frantic warriors mind, but it was gone just as quickly as it had arrived.                The presence of the first soldier still lingered. It also sent out worried vibes along with images of a vast corn field. This field was there one second and gone the next, replaced by one of the angel’s flocks of humans. The grain around their landing was seared by their light and licks of flame leaped out at us. In response Sebastian pictured his encounter with the angels and I witnessed their ‘beaming’ ability first hand. All three of us remained silent and seething. The fourth warrior was in danger and it looked like we were going to test Sebastian’s theory sooner rather than later.
“Can darkness really swallow the light?” I said in my mind before ejecting myself from the web. 

No comments:

Post a Comment