Friday 4 January 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 8


“I don’t understand, what’s happening?” I whispered.
                “Does it hurt?”
                “No”
                “Are you sure?”
                “Yes I’m sure!” I raised my voice, “it feels like a hand should feel.” It was my right hand, the one I plunged into the darkness while Owen was trying to save me. I couldn’t tell him that, what would he think? He took my wrist in his big hands and massaged it lightly. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from it. The kneading felt nice, but it wasn’t doing anything for my arm.
                “I don’t think that’s helping” I wrenched my hand away from him and held it up against my chest.
                “I need to go outside.” Out in the sunlight I took three deep breathes and closed my eyes. Images of volcanoes and magma swam before me and I snapped them open shaking my head. I could feel Owen watching me, but I didn’t care. There was something inside me that wasn’t my own. Now that I focused on it, now that I had a foreign image of black veins in my body, I could feel the rest. A small voice in the back of my mind said something inaudibly. It was like my subconscious was trying to speak to me but the harder I focussed on it the softer it seemed to get. I shook my head more violently.      

  “Your starting to scare me” his voice came from behind me, “I think maybe we should go back to the meeting place and see what the others have to say.” I spun around. What the others have to say? I didn’t even know what to say and it was my fucking hand. I think he sensed the panic in my eyes, or saw it in my body, either way as I turned to run he lunged forward.
                 Dodging around him I jumped for the edge of the container and hauled myself up. Without missing a beat I scaled the stacked blue one and descended on the jagged metal footholds of the red. I was running before I could hear the thud of Owens feet landing on the ground. He must have jumped both containers.
                “Wait!” he yelled out after me, but I was blind. Metal walls rushed past me as I pushed forward. I could feel the wind blowing back my tangled hair. Seeing a gap I squeezed through and stumbled over some debris before coming out on the other side. I could see the water. It was all I could do not to fall forward as I rushed head long towards it.
 It must have been five metres below me, but it felt like a sweet caress when I hit the surface. Coldness swept over my head and engulfed all my senses. I dove deeper keeping my eyes open. The salt water didn’t even sting. As I surfaced I looked back at the shipping yard. Owen was standing on the edge of the water. I half expected to see him dive in after me, but he just stood there and watched. A pang of regret nestled itself inside my heart as I turned away and began to swim. The other side of the narrow port was just empty land, fenced off from the shipping yard. By the time Owen got the others and tried to intercept me I would be long gone. That’s if he ran to get anyone. He was probably still standing there, just watching me swim away.   
Reaching the shore was easy enough I had always been a fairly strong swimmer. When I was four years old my mum took me to some exotic beach in France, or Belgium, one of the two. She was tanning on the shore while I played in the water. I could remember the huge floaters strapped to my arms and the sounds they made every time I splashed around. While she wasn’t watching I decided to swim out further into the bay. From the shore I could see that the whole swimming area was fenced off and I was convinced that if I just reached that I would be at the end of the world.
 My mum found me surrounded by bewildered Frenchman watching as I launched myself off the fence, paddled around and climbed right back up. It turned out that there was a whole lot more ocean beyond that fence, but it made for the best diving board. All the Frenchman were amazed that I wasn’t afraid of the deep blue. Sometimes being fearless is effortless, especially when you’re a kid.
As I struggled to climb up onto the concreted edge of the shoreline I wished that I felt as carefree as I did on that fence. In truth though my whole body was on edge and my heart felt like it was skipping beats. I stood on my tip-toes and shielded my eyes from the sun with my left hand. The shipping containers looked no larger than cardboard boxes and Owen’s figure was gone. Sighing I turned around and slowly began to walk back to my building. I was all the way on the other side of the port and it would take me at least half an hour. As I walked the sun warmed my back and I could feel the wetness in my clothes slowly evaporating. I tried to concentrate on that and on the road in front of me, but my eyes kept darting back to my right hand. Eventually I stopped and lifted it up to the sunlight for closer examination. I must have stared at it for too long because my head began to spin and a feint whisper started up in my ears.
Everything was becoming too much for me. There were too many conflicting emotions running through my head, and no logical thought path explained why my veins were darker than they should be. I replayed Owen’s account of the black hole over and over in my head. I saw bones turn to dust. Maybe my hand was petrifying? Isn’t that what happened? I knew that hands turned black from frostbite, and that charred skin was black, but I had never heard of black veins.
I was walking on the main road by now and I couldn’t help but stare at the numerous car wrecks that littered the road. One was a pile up of a truck and three cars that had all somehow ended up being crushed by the truck’s cargo. As I came closer I could smell the feint odour of decay. Now that I thought about it, this whole side of the port smelled off. That’s when I saw the first body. It was half spilled out of one of the cars, the hands were stretched forward as if they were trying to grasp onto something, but there was only bare bitumen. Maggots and flies crawled over its back, but the sight of them didn’t make me retch. I stared at the body impassively and like a receding shadow the whisper in the back of my mind caught up with me; it’s nourishing the creatures. Soon it will all be returned to where it came from. That’s right. That was exactly right.
The more bodies I came across the more conviction I felt. Who had these people been but polluters and users? Their bodies now would be used in so many different ways, all for the greater good. I stopped in my tracks. Was I one of these people? No. I used to be. I kept walking forward. I had been just like everybody else. Using aerosol sprays, oil, gas, electricity, leaving my carbon footprint, but now there were none of those things. I wasn’t exactly surviving off the green earth, but I wasn’t contributing to its destruction. Soon when all my supplies and batteries would run out I would turn to the earth and subconsciously I knew that it would provide for me.
As I rounded the corner I saw Costco looming up in front of me. An intense hatred formed in the base of my stomach. All of these man-made structures housing man-made products that needed to be implemented in man-made hovels suddenly made me feel sick. I continued on towards my building but all sense of comfort and safety that it had once inspired in me turned to ash in my mouth. The prospect of sitting inside those four walls eating out of tin cans and squinting at pages of novels under the beam of an LED light made me stop in my tracks again. I stood there for a long time. Part of me wanted to crawl into bed, onto my $900 posturepedic mattress and my Egyptian cotton sheets, but another part of me wanted to go and find a soft patch of grass under a leafy tree and just fall asleep under the stars.   
I took a few more steps forward and stopped. The indecision in my mind was spreading to my body. I was physically incapable of moving. I looked around nervously and cracked my knuckles. What the fuck was going on? Out of the corner of my eye I saw a flicker of shadow. I was standing in front of the Ice House where a million years ago I had glided over a sleek rink to the sound of Coco Jumbo. On my left the ashes of the Fun Park swayed back and forth, stuck in a current of air. Only a few metres ahead of me though were the ruins of Harbour Town. Black tendrils licked at the sky as I found my legs moving.
They propelled me forward, under the fallen down wreckage of a restaurant and through a collapsed metal frame. I found myself climbing over chunks of concrete and tumbled down pillars until I stood atop the jagged remains of an escalator. The thick cloud of darkness swirled below me and above me until all I could see were the delicate wisps of ebony. I raised my right hand and stretched it out before me. The roiling mass was still too far away to touch, but I could see how the black veins on the back of my hand began to move. As I looked closer though I saw that I was wrong, my veins weren’t moving, but dividing and splitting until a fine web of lines covered the back of my hand. I turned it over and watched as the darkness spread up my forearm. Taking a step forward I kept my hand outstretched and my eyes glued to the black pulsing lines. It was reacting to the presence of the black hole, but instead of wasting away it seemed as if my body was being added to.
I wanted to see what would happen if I let myself be taken in by it, would it consume me? It was a primal urge. I felt it in the bottom of my heart, all I had to do was step off…
“EVELYN!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment