Friday 23 August 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 41



“You can’t compare our agenda to the Sun soldiers. We don’t even know what it is, we’re just speculating at the moment” I grumbled.
                “But you do know that they have the ability to teleport large numbers of people. To trap people in these flocks and to burn people from a distance” he re-capped.
                “If what the visions me and Snow saw from the other two warriors are anything to go by then these angels are leaving destruction in their wake. Not the clean destruction that I can create, but the fire and brimstone type. We saw charred bodies, burned fields and leaping walls of fire. Now what would you prefer? Being consumed by my darkness or being burned alive?”
                “Neither” he said firmly, “I’d like to continue on living thank you very much, but I see what you’re getting at. Have you considered that these Sun messengers might want to turn the Earth into a similar, what’s the word” he paused, “habitat, as the Sun?”
               

                 “Nothing would be able to survive though, what would have been the point of them coming here to save the humans if they wanted to kill them in the first place?”
                “Exactly” he smiled.
                “Oh so you’re using reverse psychology to get me to see your point of view huh” I laughed, “look what me and Snow concluded was that we are all human to begin with. When you give man a power that is divine he will struggle with it. I’m struggling with my darkness and I’m making mistakes. We can only assume that the Sun messengers are doing the same thing. Some of them could be the saviours they were meant to be and others could have gone rogue and decided to use their nifty fire power as just that—fire power.”
                “These immovable beings, the Sun and the Earth, it doesn’t seem as if they thought this out properly does it?”
                “They had millennia to think this out, they did exactly what they intended to do except as soon as they distributed their power they left the fate of the outcome in our hands. In the end we still govern our own destinies.”
                “So if you chose to say; protect the seven hundred Portuguese people at Albert Park, then you could do it and it wouldn’t clash with the destiny the Earth has planned out for you, because you make your own destiny?”
                “As long as those people then chose to revere the Earth, then yes, I guess I could.”
                “That’s all I’ve been waiting to hear” he smiled at me, “come on we need to get moving. You need to get to Snow and convince him of the same thing.”
                We packed up the rest of the food and set out once again. This time though I was feeling a lot more energised. I could feel the darkness within me and it was at its former strength. I couldn’t say the same thing about my body though, but I knew that if I had to fight I could.
                We were walking for only ten minutes before we came across our first obstacle; a collapsed building. Without hesitation I stepped up to it and raised my palms to the rubble. The darkness slid out of my hands and quickly sped up and around the building. The process
wasn’t anything like Sebastian’s, his miasma would have first needed to cover the whole structure before it could slowly eat away at it, my process was instantaneous. As soon as the ebony liquid made contact with a man-made surface it disintegrated it.
                I turned back to Owen and Manoel and smiled. Manoel’s eyes were wide with awe and for the first time since we had discussed man’s need to worship the Earth I could see how it could be possible. He looked as if he had seen a miracle and there was no doubt in my mind that if he was taught to revere the Earth and its power he would do it wholeheartedly.
                As we continued to walk I stopped every few minutes and cleared a small patch of land. I used these pit stops to check the terrain and see if I couldn’t sense Sebastian. It was useless though; my geographical vision could only see the undulation of the Earth’s surface and not the darkness of the Earth’s soldiers.
                “What are you doing?” Owen finally asked after I stopped to check the terrain once more.
                “Stupid fucking ability” I muttered under my breath, “I can see the terrain. I was hoping to see Snow, but it doesn’t show me anything besides the ground that’s under our feet.”
                “Can it see water?”
                “What?”
                “That would be handy in your new world, if there’s no plumbing you’d need to know where all the underground wells are, where all the fresh water reserves are.”
                “I never thought of it like that” I scratched my arm. It should have been something I thought of straight away, but my mind was focussed on the present not the future.
                Olhar!” Manoel shouted. He was pointing off to the right where a just moment ago a line of low-rise apartments were standing.
                “That must be them” I said.
                “You don’t sound as enthusiastic as I thought you’d be” Owen looked at me sideways.
                “Snow’s power is slow” I mumbled, “this is the other warrior.”
                “Do you think they might be a danger to us?”
                “Stay behind me, directly behind me. If anything happens I’ll protect you.” He nodded and grabbed Manoel’s arm.
                “Come on mate you have to stay right here okay?” he pulled him in behind me and took the rear. We set off in a straight line—picking our way through the rubble until we saw a group of people moving towards us doing the same thing.
                I stopped and sharpened my vision. It was definitely Sebastian and his men and I sighed with relief that they were all there, safe and sound. The woman who was walking next to Sebastian though was someone I had never seen before. She had long bright red hair with streaks of orange at the front that reminded me of Leoloo from The Fifth Element, but where Milla Jovovich was pale this woman was dusky. Her eyes had a distinct Asiatic slant to them and the rest of her features echoed Pocahontas. Her irises were drenched in darkness and I could tell that she was sizing me up the same way I was doing to her.
                “Evs!” Sebastian called out to me and waved. I smiled back at him and raised my hand, but my smile didn’t reach my eyes. There was something about this woman that screamed ruthless and I just knew that she hadn’t come to join us to protect anyone or anything.
                I remembered the moment when she had sent us the message that she was coming, right after she had seen Marla’s slaughtered body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment