Friday 24 May 2013

Evelyn Earth Part 28



Even I was surprised at my tone of voice. It felt surreal, as if the Earth Mother’s pent up rage that I had absorbed was speaking through me.
“You can’t get ahead of yourself love, self-destructing wouldn’t have done any of us any good, not just me” he replied casually. He pushed himself off the ground and looked down at me with a placid expression.
“The urge must be stronger in you, but I haven’t forgotten my humanity just yet. I still remember my friends.” He gestured behind him, as if on cue Travis exclaimed anxiously; “Self-destruct? What the fuck do you mean self-destruct?” He was standing a few steps behind Sloan who I assumed had been arguing with Sebastian whilst I was in the throes of my power overload. I searched behind them for the rest of the group; Gerard was leaning up against a fallen piece of concrete rubble, but the rest were nowhere in sight. That’s when I realized that I was in the open air.
Sunlight beat down on my head and I craned my neck backwards, closing my eyes to get the full force of the heat on my face. I exhaled slowly and then breathed in the warm air that danced and writhed in languid currents around me.


We were standing in a shallow crater, something that I had probably created without even realizing it. The ME Bank still stood to our right, but where Melbourne Central station had joined onto the shopping center there was now one big gaping hole and I was no longer underground.
I looked around with a detached interest. I hadn’t exactly destroyed much, most of the surrounding structures still held, but everything in my vicinity was broken and scattered into small unrecognizable pieces. A slope of about two meters surrounded the crater and I wondered how unpleasant it would be to scramble back up onto the street. Disintegrate the whole area, it will be the way it was meant to be and it will please you.
As I zoned back into the real world Travis was in the midst of yelling; “…followed you all the way out here because you said we were searching for peace, what the fuck kind of peace are you going to accomplish if you got others like this bitch willing to blow us all up!”
The sun had calmed me down so much that the anger inside me didn’t even stir at these words. I knew I should feel  some kind of indignation, after all peace on Earth could be accomplished instantaneously if all humans were blown sky high, but I just stood very still and felt the darkness dissipate inside me. Even the Mother’s words seemed distant.
Sebastian turned to me and I noticed the shock he expressed at seeing me looking normal again. There was still so much that we didn’t know about each other. The control he wielded over his power in comparison to how I coped with mine was completely different. I knew for a fact that his was slower to react. What he had on me in terms of reach and influence I trumped with speed and force. It would take him more than a few minutes to suppress the darkness and stare at me with his jade green eyes again.
“Tell us then Evelyn what you were thinking in the moments when you were choking on your own power” Sebastian asked, “because it definitely wasn’t about us, or your good friend Owen; wherever he is.”
“What was I thinking?” I laughed, “I couldn’t string a word together let alone express a thought. You were in my head at the very brink of my so called self-destruction, you tell me what I was thinking.”
“What happen?”  Izwan called out from the lip of the crater interrupting mine and Sebastian’s tense exchange of words, “you blow big hole Snow! Lucky we standing far back.”
“Lucky indeed” he stared daggers at me, “Izzy here was lucky enough to escape a bloody shock to the system, wasn’t he Evs?”
 “I don’t know why your so surprised” I said to him, “you were the one who told me that we gained more power by taking in the Mother’s vengeance and that’s exactly what I wanted to do—alone. I had no idea that there was a limit of some sort.”
“Of course there’s a bloody limit you dimwit. If you have too much of anything it turns into a bad thing. Did you really think you could take in so much power and nothing would happen to you? I would have been consumed alongside with you if you didn’t decide in the last second to relinquish it to me and I’ll tell you now that I wasn’t ready to die then and I’m not ready to die now, not by a long shot. It’s probably killing you now isn’t it you selfish twat, that you had to give some of that power away.”
It was burning me deep inside that my dragon had been fragmented before it could take the form of a phoenix and explode in flames of glory. I would have taken half the city down with me I was sure of it.
I was just about to respond to his snide comments when Marla popped out of nowhere with her own two cents on the matter; “Not even an hour ago you promised us that you would keep yourself in check and the first time we come in contact with more of these black holes you try and destroy everything again!” She had stepped up alongside Izwan. “Toya was convinced that you’d keep your word, but I can see now that it’s worthless in the face of this unnatural bullshit.” she spat on the ground.
“Unnatural?!” growled Sebastian with such force that the ground shook. His eyes were still drenched in darkness and his fingertips were beginning to mist up.
“You think this this is unnatural? You are like a slug to us. Fat and slow; waiting to be neutralized and used as a fertilizer for our Garden of Eden. WE are nature itself!” he boomed.
“We should all be calm” Gerard spoke up, spreading his hands out in a gesture of silence. No one looked in his direction. Izwan had taken a step away from Marla whilst Travis took point behind Sebastian. For all his harsh words only moments before I could see that the blonde Aussie was firmly loyal to the man he called Snow.
 The dragon inside me stirred once more and I winced with pain. It was not a comfortable feeling, having so much pent up energy within me. Sebastian would be feeling the same way and I had no doubt that the warmth of the sun hadn’t affected him the way it had affected me.
He began to walk towards the incline on which Marla stood her ground and watched as he came closer and closer. As he stepped towards her his dark miasmic power trailed behind him, peeling off his body in misty layers. Such a confrontation like this was sure to pin me against Sebastian—if he was really intent on hurting Marla I wouldn’t just stand by and watch, no matter what he said about me forgetting my friends, I still knew who they were and that they needed my protection if nothing else. After all that I had put them through I owed them that at least.
I also took a step forward and was just about to warn Marla to step back when I sensed that something wasn’t quite right. Why wasn’t she backing away herself? Sebastian looked like the epitome of evil at this very moment, yet she looked, not as if she were about to die with dignity, but as if she were determined to stand up to him.
“Wait!” I screamed just as she pulled out my gun from her disgusting beige pants pocket. Without even a moment’s thought I tore the darkness from the depths of my stomach and sent it hurtling towards her. It smashed into both her and Sebastian enveloping both of them in a dark fire that crackled and spat with ebony sparks.
Sebastian disentangled himself from the broiling mass and stepped back from the strange scene. Black tendrils snaked in and around Marla as she stood holding the gun in her hand, her finger on the trigger.
My hand was s held out as a manifestation of my mental hold on the disastrous picture. I wanted her frozen in time, but not devoured and it was taking a considerable amount of effort to control myself. One slip and her skin would slough off her body.
 Sebastian walked slowly around the black cloud, his own power inching out and caressing mine.
“The bloody bitch was about to shoot me” he remarked in surprise, “Can we even get shot?” he looked at me for a response.
“I’m not sure” I replied.
“Are you going to release her?”
“I’m not sure” I said again, frowning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment